[CS-FSLUG] Linux on Core Duo MacBook

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Nov 1 22:08:38 CDT 2008

> Perhaps the reason for my vehement abhorrence is my work here in
> Westwood.  I see so very clearly and painfully what happens when men
> and women fail to live in God's image as they were created to do.
> My love for the Church is so great that ecclesiology and soteriology
> cannot truly be separate but are intertwined.  Marriage then, as a
> metaphor of Christ's relationship with the church, is something that
> is absolutely sacred.  It is not to be messed with.
[...]
> So, I'm afraid I cannot, in good conscience, continue to use Apple.
> I wish I didn't need to continue using the hardware.

	So, let me throw out another question for everyone here (Jason you
can answer it if you wish, but I don't want you to think I'm giving
you a hard time or anything like that).

	Cable TV companies serve a lot of immoral programming, from
moderately objectionable stuff on normal networks, to very
objectionable stuff on premium movie channels like HBO, Showtime,
etc., and then, of course, things like Playboy TV on top of that. Do
we refuse to watch cable TV?

	Likewise, most of the phone companies now sell TV service, including
that which provides these same programs -- and are advertised by these
companies with their aim being even worse than that of Apple. Apple
(or Microsoft or Google) thinks it is helping people, cable and teleco
companies simply want money.

	Then we have cell phones, the cellular companies typically provide
similar adult content that is quite objectionable.

	Of course, on many of these electronics, they are produced by
companies that support similarly troubling things. For example, one
might be using a Sony TV or a Sony Ericsson phone. Sony is also a
music label with objectionable, explicit music, and major motion
picture company that has movies featuring nudity, adultery, pre-
marital sex and homosexuality.

	(And not just Sony, of course -- I actually like Sony products -- you
could say the same about, say, GE or News Corp, etc.)

	I guess my bigger question is, where do we draw the line? And, if we
draw the line when Apple or Google publicly supports something that
appears (at least to the world) to be focus on helping people (even if
it is not), but not on companies trafficking in pornography and
immoral activity *for* *profit*, does that not suggest we view
homosexual sin worse than heterosexual sin? And, if we do that, how
precisely do we justify that difference, for I see nowhere in the
Bible where it says, "adultery is bad, but homosexual activity is
worse." They both bring death in the OT -- though obviously applying
Levitical law is a bad way to justify anything, unless we are going to
apply it faithfully -- and are condemned in the NT. The NT is the real
strength we have concerning condemnation, but it seems to me it
condemns both equally.

	Also, how does this relate to 1 Cor. 10.26-11.1? Is an Apple computer
essentially a piece of meat sacrificed to idols? If so, and my
exegesis of that passage is correct, the reason we ought to choose
between using Apple or not (or Sony or not) is primarily what will
give the best witness to others. (And, certainly, we are under no
obligation to inquire of a given company's policies -- "don't ask,
don't tell" may apply, I think.)

	Thoughts? Again, not looking for a fight, just trying to understand
the rationale... and musing on how all of this fits into Biblical
principles for dealing with the world.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher
tbutler at ofb.biz   | is bound in  his  way to  be a lover of myths  and
www.uninet.info   | poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in
timothybutler.us  | being big with wonder."
                                                      -- Thomas Aquinas