[CS-FSLUG] [OFB Cafe] Xeon Comparions

Kris Deugau kdeugau at deepnet.cx
Mon Jul 14 20:27:16 CDT 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
> Anyone know the difference between two 2.8 GHz older, single core
> Xeons and one multicore Xeon 3040 (1.8 GHz)?
>
> I'm debating which one to put in the aforementioned web server. I
> can't find any real benchmarks comparing the two, but I can get the
> dual processor system for just a bit more than the single, multi-core
> system. Yet, the single multi-core system is the newer Conroe Xeon.

I can't point to any hard evidence, but the older chips are likely
P4/Netburst (not sure if that's even the correct microarchitecture
codename) and the newer chip is likely a branch of the Core architecture.

Loosely speaking, everything I've read indicates that the Core line is a
derivative of the P3, and runs about the same computing power for about
2/3 the clock.

There's also the issue of "peripherals" - memory controller, PCI vs
PCIe, etc - the newer chip likely has more up-to-date support components
  and should reduce some of the bottlenecks the older chips will be more
or less stuck with.  (Or reduce the cost of some of the support
components;  old ECC memory to use in interleaved banks will probably
set you back more than even last-generation DDR.)  Cost out the whole
thing;  add in a bit of headroom, and consider if you're going to want
to do trivial upgrades like extra RAM later on.

-kgd