[CS-FSLUG] Adding a partition for Linux

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 18:43:27 CDT 2008

Yes, I used Esc to get into the bios and I set it to boot from, first
the CD drives and last from the HD.  I even tried disabling the HD but
that only resulted in a "No System" error message.  It just goes right
past what the bios is set to and then boots from the HD.

There are two CD drives on it, but I can only squese out this
statement from the Bios page "ATAPI CD RW Drive"  There are no more
details.  And there are two drives, both of which can be read and
written to from within XP.

I tried again to set it to boot from the CD and it will access BOTH
CDs during the boot sequence and BOTH have a bootable CD in them and
then it sits with an EMachines logo on the screed for a while, then
again accesses BOTH cds and then boots from the HD.

And, as I say, I can read or write to BOTH the drives from within XP
so I know they are good drives.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Tim Young <Tim.Young at lightsys.org> wrote:
> That hardware is a little old, and could be low on features. Some CDRoms
> in that age group were not able to boot, though most of them can.
>
> Can you go to your device manager and pull up your model of CDRom? We
> can usually look it up from those specifications.
>
> Also, were you ever able to get into your BIOS to look at the
> boot-order? I have seen different sites that say the keys to press
> during the E-Machine message at bootup are one of: ESC, F1, Tab, F2, or F10
>
> - Tim Young
>
> Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
>> Its a T1110 that came pre-loaded with XP.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Tim Young <Tim.Young at lightsys.org> wrote:
>>
>>> What model of E-Machine do you have?
>>>
>>> - Tim Young

Jim Isbell