[CS-FSLUG] Adding a partition for Linux

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Thu Jul 10 17:16:37 CDT 2008

Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
> I have a PC running on XP and want to add a partition so I can install
> Linux.  BUT...the entire drive is occupied with the one partition for
> XP.  Is it possible to shrink the partition, either within Windows or
> with an external CD so that I can add Linux without loosing the stuff
> I have on the Win partition.  The Win partition while using the whole
> drive is only using 6 gbytes pf the 80 gbytes available!

I use System Rescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org.  Boot it up and enter
"startx" at the command prompt, then on the bottom left is gparted.  You
can resize your ntfs partition... I do it all the time.  I recommend
doing one action at a time by applying it.  When you boot Windows back
up it will need to run its chkdisk first but it should detect the need
to do it on its own.

--
Warren Sanders