[CS-FSLUG] Adding a partition for Linux

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Sat Jul 12 14:53:51 CDT 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008, Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
> I have a PC running on XP and want to add a partition so I can
> install Linux.  BUT...the entire drive is occupied with the one
> partition for XP.  Is it possible to shrink the partition, either
> within Windows or with an external CD so that I can add Linux without
> loosing the stuff I have on the Win partition.  The Win partition
> while using the whole drive is only using 6 gbytes pf the 80 gbytes
> available!

The answer is Yes. I recently did exactly this stuff.

With a fairly recent live Linux CD (such as System Rescue CD --
http://www.sysresccd.org/) I resized the XP partition using GParted. It
didn't even need defragmenting.

I installed Linux (Slackware 12.1) afterwards. I marked the boot linux
partition as bootable, and I installed LILO (the boot loader) in the
first sector of the boot partition.

LILO automatically detected the XP partition and added an option for it.
Since then, my dual-boot setup worked fine.

The key is, do not install any boot manager on the boot sector. I was
told that if that happened, the XP partition would be unable to boot.

Blessings,

Eduardo
--
Prof. Eduardo Sanchez