[CS-FSLUG] OT: Converting from Incandescent to Flourescent Lights

Don Parris dcparris at carolina.rr.com
Tue Jan 15 11:53:12 CST 2008

On Tuesday 22 January 2008 11:46, Yama Ploskonka wrote:
> what about dimmers?  Many of our current lights at home are run from
> dimmers, and my earlier attempt to use CFLs didn't leave me that happy
> there, even hough nowadays I've converted most other lights, except
> entryways and such that are on heat/proximity automatic switches where I
> want full brightness from the get go.

I don't have any first-hand experience with these, but I do know they have
special bulbs that are designated for dimmers.  They should have improved
over the past 3 years, but I don't know from experience whether this is true.
I would love to hear more first-hand experience with these, especially newer
ones.

> In that latter sense I am curious about CFLs you mention that light up
> to full brightness instantly - most of my conversion was done 3 years
> ago, and those CFLs are just fine, except they take a while to reach
> full intensity.  I guess that newer technology has solved that - I'll
> have to look see, because during this time I've kept replacing the
> normal bulbs around the house and I'd rather not have to do that so often.

I think most newer bulbs are o.k., although I think it will always take a
little time for CFLs to reach full brightness - but they're probably much
quicker now.  The only place I've seen a noticeable difference is in our
bathroom and bedroom.  I haven't seen any other problems.  Perhaps the
difference is that the lack of light in our bedroom and bathrooms makes
the 'warm-up' more noticeable?

On my job, we have implemented sensor-switches in many offices and storage
rooms.  I plan to implement these for our public bathroom, and possibly my
daughter's old room.  My how-to will cover this issue briefly as well.

Blessings,
Don
--
Don, Dolly, Samora & Joshua