[CS-FSLUG] Local Subversion Access Issue

l4c at thelinuxlink.net l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Tue Aug 26 06:32:42 CDT 2008

WARNING FROM JEFF IT:

Do not reply to this email if it is asking for your Jeff IT account information, such as USERNAME, CAMPUS KEY or PASSWORD.  The email below might be a phishing email and if you reply to this email your Jefferson accounts may need to be disabled.  Please remember that Jeff IT will NEVER ask for your Social Security Number, password or account data via email.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Don Parris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed Subversion on a laptop running Kubuntu 8.04.  I am just
> playing with this, and using my python adventure to help me get used to it.
> I used Adept to install and, while I can pretty much do what I need to do, I
> seem to have problems committing files once I've checked them out.  I'm
> guessing that my regular user has only read access to the repository.  I can
> check out the repo, but cannot commit without doing:
>
> sudo svn commit file:///...
>
> Trying this fails.  It also affects my efforts to update from within emacs.
> svn commit file:///...
>
> I created a repo in ~/dev/repos/pyplay, and use ~/bin/pyplay for my working
> copy.  I have edited the svnserve.conf in the /conf directory, and am just
> using the sample passwd file with my userid/password.
>
> The actual error message is:
> Can't create directory
> '/home/donp/dev/repos/pyplay/db/transactions/3-1.txn': Permission denied
>
> Again, I assume this is some sort of permissions issue, but cannot figure
> out how to resolve it.  I used the O'reilly free PDF as my resource for
> getting started.  Thanks for any help you can offer on this.
>
> Blessings,
> Don
> --
> D.C. Parris

Hey Don, sounds like whatever user your subversion daemon is running as
does not have file permissions on that directory structure is all.  Find
out what the user is of the subversion daemon and "chown -R owner:group
/dev/repos".  That oughta do it for ya.

--
Lincoln Fessenden
http://linuxforchristians.org