[CS-FSLUG] Local Subversion Access Issue

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 20:34:10 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I recently installed Subversion on a laptop running Kubuntu 8.04.  I am just
playing with this, and using my python adventure to help me get used to it.
I used Adept to install and, while I can pretty much do what I need to do, I
seem to have problems committing files once I've checked them out.  I'm
guessing that my regular user has only read access to the repository.  I can
check out the repo, but cannot commit without doing:

sudo svn commit file:///...

Trying this fails.  It also affects my efforts to update from within emacs.
svn commit file:///...

I created a repo in ~/dev/repos/pyplay, and use ~/bin/pyplay for my working
copy.  I have edited the svnserve.conf in the /conf directory, and am just
using the sample passwd file with my userid/password.

The actual error message is:
Can't create directory
'/home/donp/dev/repos/pyplay/db/transactions/3-1.txn': Permission denied

Again, I assume this is some sort of permissions issue, but cannot figure
out how to resolve it.  I used the O'reilly free PDF as my resource for
getting started.  Thanks for any help you can offer on this.

Blessings,
Don
--
D.C. Parris
Minister, Journalist, Free Software Advocate