[CS-FSLUG] Local Subversion Access Issue

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Tue Aug 26 10:55:49 CDT 2008

* [2008-08-26 07:32:42 -0400] l4c at thelinuxlink.net wrote:

>> I recently installed Subversion on a laptop running Kubuntu 8.04.  I am just
>> playing with this, and using my python adventure to help me get used to it.
>> I used Adept to install and, while I can pretty much do what I need to do, I
>> seem to have problems committing files once I've checked them out.  I'm
>> guessing that my regular user has only read access to the repository.  I can
>> check out the repo, but cannot commit without doing:
>>
>> sudo svn commit file:///...
>>
>> Trying this fails.  It also affects my efforts to update from within emacs.
>> svn commit file:///...
>>
>> I created a repo in ~/dev/repos/pyplay, and use ~/bin/pyplay for my working
>> copy.  I have edited the svnserve.conf in the /conf directory, and am just
>> using the sample passwd file with my userid/password.

Using file:/// does not involve svnserve at all.  That's local file
access.

If this is a simple one-person repository, chown -R it, like Lincoln
said.  I'll bet you used root to create the repository to begin with
(don't do that).

The other way, if you want multiple users to access it, is to chown -R
root:svn the repository tree, create the svn group, and yourself (and
anyone else) to that group.  But make sure all the directories in the
repository are sgid svn so that any new files created are owned by group
svn.

Of course, if this is a single-user repository, chown to your user/group
and you should have no problems.

I also find using apache as a frontend to subversion better than using
svnserve.  Here's a document about using apache with subversion:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5902186.html

Some other pieces I wrote about subversion:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5919523.html
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=73
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6137162.html

There are more, but I think that should be sufficient.. =)

>> The actual error message is:
>> Can't create directory
>> '/home/donp/dev/repos/pyplay/db/transactions/3-1.txn': Permission denied
>>
>> Again, I assume this is some sort of permissions issue, but cannot figure
>> out how to resolve it.  I used the O'reilly free PDF as my resource for
>> getting started.  Thanks for any help you can offer on this.
>>
>> Blessings,
>> Don
>> --
>> D.C. Parris
>
>Hey Don, sounds like whatever user your subversion daemon is running as
>does not have file permissions on that directory structure is all.  Find
>out what the user is of the subversion daemon and "chown -R owner:group
>/dev/repos".  That oughta do it for ya.

He's not using the subversion daemon, if he was, he'd be acessing it as
svn:/// not file:///.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/