[CS-FSLUG] Networking with Ubuntu or Fedora Core 6

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sat Feb 24 16:57:49 CST 2007

Hi there,
One of the problems with a network with Linux is that there are a ton of
ways to do everything.  If all you have is two Linux boxes, then you
will want to use NFS file-sharing.  If you may sometime use a windows
box on your computer, you will want to set up Samba (You may do it
instead of NFS.  They are not mutually exclusive, they just do the same
thing two different ways.)

With your problem of things not opening eachother, my first guess is
that you have a firewall set up.  You can determine if you have a
firewall by running:
    iptables-save

If it prints a lot of lines, then you have a firewall.  :)

You may look at:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html
This tells you about file and printing.

You will probably want to break things up into a few parts:
  Getting the computers to contact eachother via the net.
    (firewalling, IP addresses, DNS, etc.)
  Sharing information
    (Samba, NFS, SSH, etc.)

There is a Linux networking howto at tldp.org, but it gets very
complex.  Since you already have IP addresses, I will assume that you
just have a firewall blocking connectivity.  You can turn off your
firewall a few ways.  Fedora uses a program called "lokkit" in the
command-line world, but it has some interface in the GUI world.  I do
not have FC6 so I don't know where it is.  If you have a firewall
between you and the outside world, for now, just turn off your firewall.

For sharing files, you will most likely end up setting up Samba.  It is
horribly more complex than NFS, but it works in more cases than NFS
does.  The samba link I gave you up there may be helpful.  But since you
already set up some shares, most likely, when you have the firewall
turned off, things will start working.  If not, I can give you a few
commands that will tell you quickly where the problem is.

Fedora used to allow root SSH by default, so my guess here is that once
you have your firewall down, everything will work.  If not, ssh is
usually very simple.  Make sure it is enabled at boot
    chkconfig sshd on
and then make sure it is currently started up
    service sshd start

Then, from the machine you are on, ssh to yourself to see if it works
local.  If it does, then try it from the other computer.  Most all SSH
issues, unless you have been playing with the sshd_config file, will be
with the firewall or not having your service started.

Hope that helps some.

    - Tim Young