[CS-FSLUG] Kubuntu 7.04 Widescreen display bug?

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Apr 29 08:29:17 CDT 2007

Marco Tedaldi wrote:

> The IgnoreEDID ond NoBandwithTest seemed to help.
>
> I'm using gentoo, so there is no other tool touching my xorg.conf. I'm
> not sure, if in upuntu there is a tool changing the xorg.conf on every
> reboot (but i don't think so... it did not the notbook of my wive, where
> I had to use 915resolution to get the xorg-server to display the native
> resolution).

As I understand it, the primary cause is EDID. It does not so much reset
xorg.conf as set the display for that instance. It's a built-in feature
to communicate with monitor, and nVidia cards using the nvidia driver
are indeed more aggressive about forcing what it gets from the hardware.
It has been known to misinterpret the information, as in Nathan's case.
Or, it may be the manufacturer of the monitor didn't code a proper
response in the firmware. I suspect rewriting xorg.conf may be an added
feature of the particular Linux distro. I've never heard of it happening
under BSD.

I'm not familiar with the Bandwidth test issue, so I can't comment, but
using the "IgnoreEDID" has been resolved more heartaches than anything
else I've tried. (This whole issue with nVidia is the reason I'm seeking
to trade mine off for a Radeon).

> PS: yes, this is my first post to this list... maybe i should introduce
> myself in another post?

Why not? We'd love to get to know you.

--
Ed Hurst