[CS-FSLUG] Kubuntu 7.04 Widescreen display bug?

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmx.ch
Sun Apr 29 08:01:37 CDT 2007

Hello Nathan, Hello Everybody

Nathan T. schrieb:
> The problem was resolved with some difficulty once when I was using
> the NV driver, but as soon as I installed the proprietary NVidia
> driver I was unable to get Kubuntu to consistently use the correct
> resolution. When I last left it, threw my hands in the air, and
> started looking for my Mandriva CD, it would have the right
> resolution at the log in screen, but I could get the screen to move

I had a similar Issue with nv vs. nvidia in xorg.
It seems the nvidia drive has a more strict checking if the monitor
really supports the desired resolution (or maybe a buggier one).

the Solution for me was to set these options in xorg.conf

===xorg.conf=====

Section "Device"
     Identifier  "nForce BuiltIn"
#    Driver      "nv"
     Driver      "nvidia"
     Option      "IgnoreEDID"    "1"
     Option      "NoBandWidthTest"
     Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

     #VideoRam    32768
     # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

===xorg.conf end===

The IgnoreEDID ond NoBandwithTest seemed to help.

I'm using gentoo, so there is no other tool touching my xorg.conf. I'm
not sure, if in upuntu there is a tool changing the xorg.conf on every
reboot (but i don't think so... it did not the notbook of my wive, where
I had to use 915resolution to get the xorg-server to display the native
resolution).

I hope this solve your Problem

Marco

PS: yes, this is my first post to this list... maybe i should introduce
myself in another post?