[CS-FSLUG] CUPS

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sat Nov 4 19:07:58 CST 2006

I have not had any problems with many CUPS setups.  I have helped set it
up in some 20 locations around the world.  I have used:
CUPS shared printers off a linux box.
printers on windows clients with print-accounting through a Linux computer
jet-direct through cups
and a number of other scenarios.  We have not had problems with it.

To use the Linux box as the central print server, the easiest way, with
the windows box, is through samba on the linux server.  Then add the
printers through the CUPS built-in web interface (127.0.0.1:631 on the
server itself).  To access the cups administration web-page from another
computer you will need to edit the /etc/cups/cups.conf file or do some
port-forwarding.

For Linux to Linux computers, using ipp is most efficient:
Sample printer URI: ipp://foo.bar.com/printers/LaserJet
Where foo.bar.com is the computer name and LaserJet is the printer name

Perhaps a helpful doc can be found here:
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ipp.html

    - Tim Young