[CS-FSLUG] CUPS

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 4 04:52:27 CST 2006

 > Robert W. wrote:
> I use CUPS on a network of two Linux boxes: a desktop and a laptop. The
> printer is USB, connected to the desktop. The laptop prints over the
> network. I don't use Samba, because there are no Windows machines.
>
> The machines go through a router and are assigned dynamic IP addresses.
> I found that setting CUPS to broadcast was the simplest configuration.
>
> The desktop, for some reason, loses its network connection. But CUPS
> itself works fine. What symptoms do you see?

I have three Puppy Linux machines, two desktops
and one laptop.

They all see and print to the Samsung laser
tied to a USB port on one of the desktops using
CUPS.

Am working on adding a HP color printer as a
second option.  I have a conflict between the
Samsung and the HP at the moment but did once
have both working so I have a bad setting
somewhere!

No MS versions of windows anywhere here at the
moment, have been experimenting with WINE so as
to avoid anything MS, so no experience with Samba
here.

When I was an administrator at Trinity College
I used Samba to print to printers on MS-based
desktops from my Linux laptop.  Been a while
so I don't recall the details.

--

Thanks!  David
David Colburn, D.Min, MACo