[CS-FSLUG] CUPS

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 4 06:53:57 CST 2006

> For Linux to Linux computers, using ipp is most efficient:
> Sample printer URI: ipp://foo.bar.com/printers/LaserJet
> Where foo.bar.com is the computer name and LaserJet is the printer name
>     - Tim Young

If I may I sure would benefit from your knowledge. I
am a former systems manager but seem to have forgotten
more about networking than I ever knew!

I am currently running Puppy Linux version 2.11 on
our three home computers.

Is there a simple way to inquire of the Net what are
the computer names available on the Network?

Our two desktops tie back to the LinkSys Wireless-G
Broadband Router WRT54G via a LinkSys 5-Port Workgroup
Switch EZXS55W hub (there is only one RJ-45 cable to
that location).

The laptop is usually wireless into the Router but
sometimes wired.

The Samsung ML-2251NP is tied to one of the desktops
via USB (it is a network capable printer but I have
not succeeded in networking it via RJ-45 yet).

The second printer I want to add is a HP OfficeJet
4215 (USB).

I have considered the acquisition of a 2 or 3-port
wireless printer hub but haven't found one that is
known to be Linux-friendly and is reasonably priced.

Recommendations, please?

--

Thanks!  David
David Colburn, D.Min, MACo