[CS-FSLUG] CUPS

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Sat Nov 4 17:48:15 CST 2006

On 11/04/2006 02:42:30 PM, John Mark Clayton wrote:
> Is anyone successfully using CUPS over a network?  It seems I spend
> more time fixing cups than any other task.  I have a very simple
> network:
> 1) Linux Xubuntu 6.06 Samba file and printer server with a Cannon
> S300 USB printer
> 2) Linux Xubuntu 6.06 notebook
> 3) Windows XP notebook that only gets touched for iTunes to see
> missed In Touch sermons.
> The problem never seems to be the same twice though the symptoms are
> often the same or similar.  Is samba the best option here?  Has
> anyone started using one of those usb printers server black boxes?
> On Amazon, only the Buffalo is getting good reviews.  Has anyone
> attempted to setup an IPP server on a linux box?

I use CUPS on a network of two Linux boxes: a desktop and a laptop. The
printer is USB, connected to the desktop. The laptop prints over the
network. I don't use Samba, because there are no Windows machines.

The machines go through a router and are assigned dynamic IP addresses.
I found that setting CUPS to broadcast was the simplest configuration.

The desktop, for some reason, loses its network connection. But CUPS
itself works fine. What symptoms do you see?

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

It is done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the Beginning and the End. -- Revelations 21:6