[CS-FSLUG] Calculus

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Thu May 25 09:58:58 CDT 2006

Thank you, Clinton, yet much of what you say is FOAF evidence.

As a physicist working in optics, do you have one - not asking for more
of your time - one example of something specific _you_ have calculated
using calculus?  Just one.  Equation very much appreciated.  To make it
more enticing:  I will hang that one on my wall, by the computer, and
get my wife to explain it to me until I get it.  I mean, I'm supposedly
a bright kid, I should be able to get that Calculus...

I hope that NDA is not a problem with you as it is with Dave...

Thanks

Yama

Clinton Evans wrote:
> I use calculus routinely in the course of my work.

<FOAF>

> It is an immensely useful
> tool for a wide range of problems. Every time a mechanical engineer works out
> a center of gravity or a moment of inertia he uses calculus. Every time an
> electrical engineer works an AC network problem, he uses calculus. In terms
> of dollars per equation, Every time an orbital mechanics person works out how
> to get a space craft to Neptune, he uses calculus.
>
> Maxwell's Equations are the most economically important piece of physics in
> the past 200 years and calculus is at the heart of the theory. It is
> fundamental to everything from radio through power generation and
> transmission to physical optics. It also provided the most important clue
> leading to relativity. Talking of relativity, calculus is also fundamental to
> general relativity.

</FOAF>