[CS-FSLUG] Calculus

Clinton Evans clinton.evans at rogers.com
Thu May 25 19:13:41 CDT 2006

Perhaps the first examples I gave, center-of-gravity and moment of inertia,
are good ones to consider. Look them up on wikipedia or Eric Weinstein's
world of Physics for the equations. The definitions come directly from the
definition of the definite integral. The practical calculation uses integral
calculus for simple shapes or numerical integration for more complex
geometries.

In my work, I use diffraction theory for calculating the performance of a lens
system. Geometric ray-tracing (lots of vectors but not much calculus) tells
me the shape of the wavefront emerging from the lens. Then, I use the
Huygens-Fresnel Integral (look it up on google for the equations) to
calculate the the form of the image spot -- known in optics speak as the
point-spread function.

This theory also leads to a related calculation for the modulation transfer
function. It is like a frequency response for an amplifier except the
frequency is in cycles per mm instead of cycles per second and provides a
fairly rigorous assessment of a lens' image quality. The calculation uses an
autocorrelation integral of the emerging wavefront from the lens. Here is a
reference:

http://publib.upol.cz/~obd/fulltext/Physica-40-41/acta6.pdf

An optics text book would give a better account but this paper shows the
general idea.

I also use least-squares optimization methods routinely. A google search will
give the general idea but the plot depends on lots of linear algebra applied
to a matrix of partial derivatives -- calculus.

Clinton

Clinton