[CS-FSLUG] Calculus

Clinton Evans clinton.evans at rogers.com
Wed May 24 18:05:09 CDT 2006

I use calculus routinely in the course of my work. It is an immensely useful
tool for a wide range of problems. Every time a mechanical engineer works out
a center of gravity or a moment of inertia he uses calculus. Every time an
electrical engineer works an AC network problem, he uses calculus. In terms
of dollars per equation, Every time an orbital mechanics person works out how
to get a space craft to Neptune, he uses calculus.

Maxwell's Equations are the most economically important piece of physics in
the past 200 years and calculus is at the heart of the theory. It is
fundamental to everything from radio through power generation and
transmission to physical optics. It also provided the most important clue
leading to relativity. Talking of relativity, calculus is also fundamental to
general relativity.

I am a physicist and work in optics.  My use of calculus is so diverse it is
hard to know where to start but here is a short list:

Optical Coatings
Polarization
Optimization
Radiometry
Diffraction Theory
Geometric Optics (Fermat's Principle)

Quite apart from its utility, calculus is also interesting. It has its own
beauty and is as worthy of study as anything in literature, the arts or any
phenomenon of the physical world.

Clinton

Clinton