[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Re: Seeking opinions

Alan Trick alantrick at gmail.com
Tue May 23 04:26:31 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 22:57 -0600, Nathan T. wrote:
> On 5/23/06, David Aikema <david at aikema.net> wrote:
>
> > (BTW, given what you describe, why do you think that only a degree
> > from Waterloo would be worth anything?)
>
> I didn't think that initially, but others seem to be trying to guide
> me to Waterloo as if anything less was underachieving. Frankly, given
> my unpleasent experience with Calculus I'd much rather find a good
> College or technical institute where I could get good training and a
> respected degree, all without having to delve too deep in Calculus
> again. As much as I'd like to avoid torturing myself with too many
> difficult courses, I also want to have good chances at finding work in
> the programming field.

I'd would probably agree with you, not so much because Waterloo is hard,
but it's really big. Not everyone will have the same experience as me,
but I went there for one year and I didn't like it at all. First, I was
completely new there so I didn't now everyone. The few people I meet in
frosh week, I only saw once or twice during the rest of the year. From
the people in my dorm complex, half of them were going to another school
and none of them were in the same degree (mathematics). All of the
freshmen classes are pretty large and there's usually 3-5 versions of
the same course, so it's pretty difficult to find people that are in
more than one of your courses. The professors were good but the only
people with a social life spent half of it drunk.

Alan Trick