[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Re: Seeking opinions

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Tue May 16 13:30:38 CDT 2006

On 5/14/06, doc <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:
> > The big problem that I have with Devry is not that its a technical
> > institute, but that its a for-profit company.
>
> I am not sure why a for-profit school is any better
> or worse than a so-called not-for-profit school.
> They all make the equivalent of a profit or else
> they'd close their doors -- the more important
> question goes to the quality of the education they
> provide for the dollars spent.

Well, a for-profit company has investors which expect to receive money
back from this - which may lead to compromising academic integrity for
the sake of profit.

The non-for-profits instead of money to shareholders, have as their
goal producing mature graduates (eg. Christian colleges), who will
uphold the reputation of the school (eg. MIT, Harvard, Stanford,
etc.), and are capable of fulfilling a role within society
(government-funded institutions).  Perhaps this is a somewhat utopian
vision of the not-for-profits, but I'm wary of for-profit companies in
this area.

Dave