[CS-FSLUG] Seeking opinions

doc edoc7 at verizon.net
Sun May 14 23:07:01 CDT 2006

> I'd describe technical institutes as by-and-large vocational schools,
> and they may be the right choice depending on what sort of career
> you're training for.  Their focus is just a little bit different from
> that of a university.

One has to ask a lot of hard questions of human
resources departments in companies where you may
seek employment as to what they think of graduates
from such schools.  Could be good, bad, or indifferent.

They may have their own ways to assess your knowledge
and not care a whole lot whose piece of paper you wave,
or they may have experience with graduates from a
particular school and have a preconceived notion of
competence, again good or bad or unpredictable.

> The big problem that I have with Devry is not that its a technical
> institute, but that its a for-profit company.

I am not sure why a for-profit school is any better
or worse than a so-called not-for-profit school.
They all make the equivalent of a profit or else
they'd close their doors -- the more important
question goes to the quality of the education they
provide for the dollars spent.

IMHO, YMMV ...

--
Respectfully,