[CS-FSLUG] Sponsoring a Feature Addition for Evolution

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri May 12 18:42:56 CDT 2006

I wanted our ministry to put our money where our mouth is on free
software.  To that end, we sought out - and have - an Evolution
programmer willing to add a minor feature for a nominal fee.

Evolution currently lacks the ability to delete messages from a POP
server after a user-specified number of days.  It either deletes them
or doesn't delete them; you can't make it wait a few days before
deleting them.  This feature is supported in other applications, but
I/we use Evolution mostly, and having this feature would be so much
easier than using another program or two or three to accomplish our
tasks.  Rather than submit a bug report/feature request in the usual
manner, we thought we would get it implemented the old-fahsioned
Capitalist way.

One of the guys who works on Evolution's mailer is willing to write a
patch and expects the cost to run between $375-$450, and take about
1.5 weeks to complete.  The patch will be geared toward Evolution
2.4.1 or later.  Our ministry is willing to sponsor the work, but we
thought we should give others an opportunity to throw something into
the ring.  The money supports a starving (presumably, based on the
notion that no one gets paid for writing free software) FOSS
programmer and the patch will be publicly available - all in the
spirit of Free Software.  Programmer gets paid.  People share.  Way
cool.

If you're interested in contributing to the implementation of this
feature, let me know.

Blessings,
Don
--