[CS-FSLUG] Seeking opinions

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri May 12 22:22:37 CDT 2006

> I'm considering the University of Saskatchewan, although the thought
> of a town the size of Saskatoon is intimidating. Most of my friends
> from Prince Albert will be going there, and the school is supposed to
> be a good one, but they have an awful web site as from what little
> information I could scrounge they require far more courses unrelated
> to my field of study than any other post-secondary institutions I've
> seen.

	I just looked it up. It looks like there are 33 hours of gen eds at
U of S. That's pretty low, I think. Two semesters of English Comp is
pretty standard, as are two social sciences, two natural sciences,
etc. Remember the electives part can be stuff of any type you want to
take, including more of your major's courses. The more well rounded
your transcript, however, the more respectable your degree will look.

	Often, you can find good gen ed courses that are of interest to your
subject matter, however. Particularly, if your interested in
something else like theology too, as you mentioned.

> Mount Allison in Sackville, NB is the farthest from home, but they
> also have the best CS curriculum I've seen out of any other University
> so far. They teach C++, FORTRAN, and Unix! I kid you not, they have a
> very tempting CS course and the funny thing is despite being good
> enough to be amongst the best in the Macleans guide to Canadian
> Universities they are also a small university and they have Christian
> theology courses! The down side is that it's very far from home, I'd
> have to travel from Yellowknife, NT to Sackville, NB alone. It also
> seems to have more mathematics based course requirements that start at
> the difficulty level of Calculus.

	Sounds good!

> Acadia University which is also in NB is seeming more interesting,
> apparently it's a good one for CS courses; however it also has an
> above average problem with laptop theft. I'm going to be looking more
> into it later on.

	Expect any college to have a high level of theft... you'll need to
keep a close eye (or lock and key) on any valuables.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher
tbutler at ofb.biz   | is bound in  his  way to  be a lover of myths  and
www.uninet.info   | poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in
timothybutler.us  | being big with wonder."
                                                      -- Thomas Aquinas