[CS-FSLUG] Setting Up Connection Sharing - SUSE 10.0

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 15:59:46 CST 2006

On 2/27/06, Stephen J. McCracken <smccracken at hcjb.org.ec> wrote:

> > the Routing module and type in the address for the internal NIC on the
> > primary SUSE box.  I'm not sure how to add the default route under
> > Ubuntu or Knoppix.
> >
> > I tried 'route add', but haven't been able to make that work properly.
> >  I'm sure I am using it incorrectly on the Knoppix box, but the Ubuntu
> > box won't even allow me to use the command.  I have to go now, but I
>
> I would highly suggest that instead of working on the individual boxes,
> you work on your SUSE box.  Your DHCP server on your SUSE box should be
> sending out the configuration (including the gateway -- which should be
> the default route) to your other clients.  If those clients have their
> gateway correct, but aren't setting their default route (check with the
> route command) then start checking the network configuration on the clients.
>
> sjm

I was able to get my laptop (running SUSE 10.0) to work by setting the
default gateway to the IP address of the internal NIC on my primary
box.  Of course, it could be that, because Yast restarts the network
service, it picked up the default gateway anyway.  You make it sound
as if I just need to restart the LAN service on the clients.  On a
SUSE box, I can do that by typing:
rcnetwork restart

I just found a tutorial that says the Debian-based distros do it thus:
service network restart

However, I recall that during the Ubuntu installation process I
received a warning about not having a default route.  It gave the
impression that, once you got past the installation without a default
route, it would be difficult to configure it later.  Whether that was
the intended message or not, I don't know.  I'll try restarting the
network when I get back to it tonight.  Again, I appreciate your
input.

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/