[CS-FSLUG] Setting Up Connection Sharing - SUSE 10.0

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 14:16:39 CST 2006

On 2/27/06, Peter J. Vasquez Sr. <baeyogin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Don,
>   255.255.255.0 and 255.255.240.0 are most likely the
> subnet masks for the LAN and Roadrunner
> (respectively), not the gateway IPs.  The DHCP service
> for the LAN should have your router, 192.168.2.3 as
> the default gateway (verify on any of your hosts).
> Your router will receive it's default gateway via DHCP
> from Roadrunner.  You can verify the path taken by
> your LAN computers with a 'traceroute 64.233.187.99'
> (this is one of the google.com IPs).  If you can get
> outside your LAN, the problem could be DNS related,
> which you can check by verifying settings in your DHCP
> server.  Let me know if any of this helps.  (Any
> additional information you can provide would also
> help).  Thanks
> .
> --
>          .

Actually, Frank's suggestion solved the problem.  I do have an issue
with two boxes though.  My Ubuntu box and my Knoppix LivePC box don't
has the default route set.  In SUSE's Yast, this was easy - just open
the Routing module and type in the address for the internal NIC on the
primary SUSE box.  I'm not sure how to add the default route under
Ubuntu or Knoppix.

I tried 'route add', but haven't been able to make that work properly.
 I'm sure I am using it incorrectly on the Knoppix box, but the Ubuntu
box won't even allow me to use the command.  I have to go now, but I
appreciate any pointers on making the other boxes viable.  I
appreciate everyone's input so far.  I will gladly accept
documentation pointers - other than man route - I'll look it up later
as well.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist