[CS-FSLUG] Setting Up Connection Sharing - SUSE 10.0

Peter J. Vasquez Sr. baeyogin at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 12:13:54 CST 2006

Don,
  255.255.255.0 and 255.255.240.0 are most likely the
subnet masks for the LAN and Roadrunner
(respectively), not the gateway IPs.  The DHCP service
for the LAN should have your router, 192.168.2.3 as
the default gateway (verify on any of your hosts).
Your router will receive it's default gateway via DHCP
from Roadrunner.  You can verify the path taken by
your LAN computers with a 'traceroute 64.233.187.99'
(this is one of the google.com IPs).  If you can get
outside your LAN, the problem could be DNS related,
which you can check by verifying settings in your DHCP
server.  Let me know if any of this helps.  (Any
additional information you can provide would also
help).  Thanks
.
--
         .
          }\
  \\../^^^^^(0)^         pjvasquez at baeyogin.com
   )^>^^^^))^^^(}
  //''\^^^^^/^\/
       `^---'=`

> I have never setup Internet connection sharing
before.  RoadRunner
> allows me to share a connection between 4 boxes.  My
SUSE 10.0 box is
> the one attached to the 'Net via cable modem.  eth0
obtains its IP
> address via DHCP from the cable modem.  eth1 has a
static IP and
> provides DHCP service for the internal LAN.
>
> eth0 = 71.68.104.83
> eth1 = 192.168.2.3
>
> In Yast, I setup both NICs to allow IP forwarding.
I have not set the
> default route, although I have the default gateway
as 255.255.255.0.
> The destination is showing as 255.255.240.0,
although I do not know
> why.  The internal hosts definitely connect to the
SUSE box and obtain
> their IP addresses via DHCP.  However, they don't
have a way to get
> beyond the SUSE box.  Can someone help me understand
what I am
> missing?
>
> Do I need to create a 2nd IP address on the internal
(or the external)
> NIC?  IOW, how do I set the default route so that my
connection can