[CS-FSLUG] Any thoughts on Ubuntu Linux?

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Thu Sep 29 17:37:39 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 18:13 -0400, Michael Bradley, Jr. wrote:
> I downloaded an Ubuntu Linux Live/Installer DVD ISO, played with it
> on a friend's laptop, and then installed it for her as she was
> looking for an alternative to re-installing the copies of Win2k and
> MS Office 2k that she (legally) owns.
>
> It's an older laptop, IBM ThinkPad T20, 700MHz P3, 256MB RAM; it has
> a new harddrive, though -- an hd crash necessitated buying a new,
> better hd . . . The system as a whole seems to run pretty well, and
> is *much* more responsive than the Win2k/Office2k combo.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if any of the list-members would like to
> comment on the Ubuntu distribution? Do you recommend it? Any gripes
> or praise to offer?

I've been using Ubuntu for a while now and I find it a very nice, easy
to use distribution.  Since it is Debian based you get the excellent apt
tools and the wealth of packages.  It has a very clean default gnome
install (2.12.0 if you're using Breezy.)  Overall I think it is an
excellent desktop distro.  (I switched from using Slackware only for
several years.)

--
Brian

The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after
him.  -- Proverbs 20:7