[CS-FSLUG] Intelligent design...

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 20:58:07 CDT 2005

Interesting,

> Well, I am not really sure what to say about this...

I am sure what to say ... someone is walking in my
park
... and it a dark night.

> "In June 2005, Bobby Henderson submitted an open
> letter to the Kansas Board of Education in response
> to their decision on
> giving intelligent design equal time with evolution
> by natural selection in biology classes.

Personally, the ID movement is on the right track, but

under it's all-encompassing umbrella is every
religious
idea. These ideas are conflicting and cannot possible
survive any close comparison.

That said, I love what the professor did. What did he
do?

First, realizing the theory of evolution couldn't win
the
debate on merit, he decided to heckle. Standard
reaction
of a 6 year old.

Secondly, he used something that could be enjoyed by
both children and adults so that it could be shown on
the major news media.

Third, he makes a solid point that just because we
can't
prove something happened, doesn't mean it didn't. That
is the whole problem with the ID movement. Without a
solid (and well proven) Biblical foundation, what is
their
alternative?  Minus well be the spaghetti monster.

Fourth, he makes a sly move is his argument:
Evolution by Natural Selection vs. ID.
This is incorrect. Evolution is not Natural Selection.
The biblical model needs natural selection as well.
We can observe natural selection happening today.
So he's saying that to deny Evolution is to deny
bold-faced, obvious facts. He's wrong.

Evolution is, in fact, a theory that states that life
formed spontaneously from non-life. Louis Pasteur
would have a good laugh at this. It also states that
through the process of Natural Selection acting on
MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS of BENEFICIAL MUTATIONS
to create a creature better able to compete in it's
environment.

The Professor seems to be missing the mutation part.
Without those mutations, there is nothing upon which
natural selection can act. And not just a few
mutations,
but millions upon millions upon millions.

The Biblical model, if any of you don't know, was
developed in the 1950's and has grown out of our
knowledge of the Bible and the findings of science.

In short, God created creatures to breed after their
"kind" (dog kind, cat kind, deer kind). These
creatures
had a very large gene pool from which to draw. After
the flood, the creatures separated into isolated areas
to escape predators, look for food or to seek prey.
These isolated groups slowly lost genetic information
over time as they become more specialized to their
environment. The genes not "desirable" for the
environment would be "selected against" and eventually
lost. This process is Natural Selection.

For example, all dogs today are known to have come
from a single dog kind, however each has been bred to
exclude certain traits and keep others to produce a
particular "breed".

So, while I hesitate to support this cause because it
hates
all non-evolution models the same, I must say that the
ID
movement is and can only be a step on the road to the
truth of biblical history.

Evolution is a beaten theory. It's been proven and
will
continue to lose credibility in the future. What we
need
is to the the truth out there.

That said, would you want an athiest, activist teacher
teaching your children the theory of Intelligent
Design?
How do you think that would come out sounding? Yeah,
me too. So, the fudamental problem is one not only of
the law,  but also of the hearts and minds of the ones
teaching the material. Perhap there should be 2
teachers.

What do you think?