[CS-FSLUG] Firewall query OR Switching Your Better Half to Linux

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Tue Nov 1 09:51:34 CST 2005

I was still a newly wed when I convinced my wife to switch, but my wife
has become quite happy with Linux. Really, she took to it well. Most of
the stigma that it wouldn't work was a result of me playing with things
all the time. I've stopped messing around too much on the main computer
and it stabilized significantly.

The only annoyance that I hear about much anymore is the speed decrease
when I switched it to Ubuntu from Gentoo. She now occasionally chants
"Gentoo, Gentoo, Gentoo" in my ear when the printer or the Internet are
acting up. The internet is a really old Linksys device dieing and the
printer is usually not working because I forgot to plug it in after
using it on my notebook or someone hit the "Cancel" button which acts
oddly. Requires a printer power cycle to reset. Both have nothing to do
with Linux or the distro. :-)

JSR/