[CS-FSLUG] Any abandoned copies of Windows XP

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 22:22:30 CDT 2005

Well,

> Just out of curiosity, Have you tried the 2.0 beta
> of OOo yet, Nathan?  It should work a bit better.

It still has it's crashes, but it is a step well above
OO.o 1.

> This is one reason I have such difficulty with
> restrictive EULAs.  I can resell my old books, but
> cannot give away my old software CD.  It's pure
> stupidity.  I should have that right with software.
> EULAs often expand beyond the bounds of what
> copyright was intended to accomplish.  To me, it
> is an affront to freedom.

Actually, you are just leasing the software from
Windows. Kind of like the government actually owns all
the land in the country (imminent domain), even though
you hold the deed.

> As a sidenote, check out Lessig's "Free Culture".
> I'm willing to say a good many people don't know
> what a "pirate" Walt Disney was.

Back then, everyone was pirates. Check out the
cartoons and guess which other shows they are
pirating.

> Or for that matter, how about your local cable
> company (at least the earliest ones)?  Cable was
> really not so different from, say, Napster
> (redistributing content), even though the
> implications are somewhat different.

Well, it was very different. The television networks
wanted to expand. Broadcasting television was
expensive, and if you could expand the advertisers
reach (and they were mostly national at the time),
then NBC (Blue and Red), ABC and CBS were all for it.
Advertisment supported media (radio and broadcast TV)
can't be pirated like non-advertisement supported
media (otherwise VCR's would be illegal).

> I do not believe that Christians should violate
> EULAs.  Of course, I think it's a bad idea to use
> software with such restrictive license terms to
> begin with.

I don't even want to get into EULA's. Software rental
... whatever. I do use proprietary software when it is
best for the purpose. I do not rent software, however,
I buy it.

Gabe Ginorio