[CS-FSLUG] Piracy (Was: Any abandoned copies of Windows XP)

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sun May 1 23:27:50 CDT 2005

On 5/1/05, Chris Brault <groundhog3000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well,
>
> > Just out of curiosity, Have you tried the 2.0 beta
> > of OOo yet, Nathan?  It should work a bit better.
>
> It still has it's crashes, but it is a step well above
> OO.o 1.

> > This is one reason I have such difficulty with
> > restrictive EULAs.  I can resell my old books, but
> > cannot give away my old software CD.  It's pure
> > stupidity.  I should have that right with software.
> > EULAs often expand beyond the bounds of what
> > copyright was intended to accomplish.  To me, it
> > is an affront to freedom.
>
> Actually, you are just leasing the software from
> Windows. Kind of like the government actually owns all
> the land in the country (imminent domain), even though
> you hold the deed.

This is true.  The Msft EULA states that explicitly.  Something to the
effect of, "this software is licensed, not sold...".  I am not certain
about the other vendors, but I assume something similar.

> > As a sidenote, check out Lessig's "Free Culture".
> > I'm willing to say a good many people don't know
> > what a "pirate" Walt Disney was.
>
> Back then, everyone was pirates. Check out the
> cartoons and guess which other shows they are
> pirating.

Exactly!  But they were legal, too!  Our culture seems to be
destroying this ability - and none other than Disney is at the helm!
Well, they're one of the major backers of such legislation.

> > Or for that matter, how about your local cable
> > company (at least the earliest ones)?  Cable was
> > really not so different from, say, Napster
> > (redistributing content), even though the
> > implications are somewhat different.
>
> Well, it was very different. The television networks
> wanted to expand. Broadcasting television was
> expensive, and if you could expand the advertisers
> reach (and they were mostly national at the time),
> then NBC (Blue and Red), ABC and CBS were all for it.
> Advertisment supported media (radio and broadcast TV)
> can't be pirated like non-advertisement supported
> media (otherwise VCR's would be illegal).

The VCR was anathema to the TV broadcasters.  Fortunately, "the
system" upheld their legitimate use.

> > I do not believe that Christians should violate
> > EULAs.  Of course, I think it's a bad idea to use
> > software with such restrictive license terms to
> > begin with.
>
> I don't even want to get into EULA's. Software rental
> ... whatever. I do use proprietary software when it is
> best for the purpose. I do not rent software, however,
> I buy it.
>
> Gabe Ginorio

Those who rent their software have limited control over their systems.
 Theoretically, Microsoft (or any other vendor) could shut down your
system for any arbitrary reason.  Windows XP already locks up if it's
not registered within 30 days.  Software ownership is a good thing.
The owner controls the system.  Thus, I only run software I can
actually own.

The FSF ran this article: http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/20050324tedt.html

It's a bit like owning vs. renting a home.  My wife and I were forced
to move when the house we were renting sprung a leak in the
underground oil tank out back.  I called the Fire Dep't because I was
concerned about my safety.  The landlady was furious that I did not
call her first.  This led to a dispute that involved other issues.
Attempts to resolve the problems through the landlord-tenant mediation
program failed.  For us, it was really kind of a good thing - we
bought a house, which I didn't believe I could do.

Home-owner's association aside, we have the responsibility and the
freedom that goes with home ownership.  Likewise, I have the same with
my software.  I just can't stand the thought of someone else possibly
shutting down my PC or telling me how to use my software.  There is
One who does, and His Name is the Lord of Hosts.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/