[CS-FSLUG] Any abandoned copies of Windows XP

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Mon May 2 07:05:00 CDT 2005

At 09:29 AM 5/1/05, Frank Bax wrote:

>At 08:48 PM 4/30/05, David Aikema wrote:
>
>>Depends on what kind of MS license you have I think.  The OEM copies
>>that most people will get with their computers are not transferable in
>>this fashion, but if you buy a full retail edition, I think that the
>>product is then transferable.  Of course, I'm not a lawyer...
>

>Having purchased many OEM copies of Windows 98 and XP in the past, I can
>tell you David is correct.  The vendor is obligated to sell a number of
>components with the OEM disk/license.  I usually bought a complete system,
>but I think minimum is something like: motherboard, CPU, RAM, (and perhaps
>hard disk).

Correction. I checked with a local dealer and he says:

Minimum hardware required to purchase 1 x Windows XP Home on the same
invoice number:

1 x New Hard drive
OR
1 x New Motherboard
OR
1 x New computer

However as a computer reseller one can purchase three in one box of Windows
XP, Home, Pro and Office products without any of the above appearing on the
same invoice.

The OEM software can then be resold individually with ONE of the above
components appearing on the same invoice.