[CS-FSLUG] Linux/Samba for a church office

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Mar 10 08:54:36 CST 2005

On Thu March 10 2005 7:34 am, Scott St. John wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> I am working on a project to install a central server and back up system at
> my church.  Currently about 20 users and there is a real need for
> file/folder access to protect data.
>
> I know about the Windows choices already and I use Linux and FreeBSD in an
> ISP environment, but not in an office environment where I need to control
> login, file and folder access and backups.
>
> My question is:  is anyone using something other than Windows that people
> are using in an office environment and what is your experience.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I've not done this for a church, but yes......I've "done it." I used ONLY SUSE
Linux........set up a server for multi-use, including files. You can set
permissions as you like. Install an ADIC DLT tape backup, and you're all set.
You can backup the server(s), and/or all desktops. DLT is the fastest and
more reliable backup I've ever setup.

Fred

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."