[CS-FSLUG] Linux/Samba for a church office

Alvin Smith alvin at tux.org
Thu Mar 10 10:16:15 CST 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 07:34 am, Scott St. John wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> I am working on a project to install a central server and back up system at
> my church.  Currently about 20 users and there is a real need for
> file/folder access to protect data.
>
> I know about the Windows choices already and I use Linux and FreeBSD in an
> ISP environment, but not in an office environment where I need to control
> login, file and folder access and backups.
>
> My question is:  is anyone using something other than Windows that people
> are using in an office environment and what is your experience.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Scott,

You can set up a Linux server to act as a login server, just like an NT
"domain" server, using Samba.  User will have access to their own home
directories and any shared group "folders".

Configuration is not too difficult, and there are tons of documents on how-to
do it.  But look carefully at the distinction between "machine accounts" and
regular "user accounts".  This is the key to success.

Backup methods can range from rsync commands issued from scripts or the CLI to
complex commercial solutions.  Some people use tape, others use external USB
or firewire HDDs.  Others use CDR or DVDs.  You have to determine what fits
your situation.

--
peace,
Alvin Smith