[CS-FSLUG] Re: Linux On Laptop

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 23:39:21 CST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:31:25 -0500, Wade A Smith <warm38 at juno.com> wrote:

> The HP folks say "buy the doc package by calling this 877 number..."
> The screen is the WideXGA and that is the kicker.  It wanted info to
> recognize the "different" screen that I didnt have. Oh, and all the stuff
> that was supposed to look round started looking oval.

It's amazing the difference between the Compaq and HP systems, even
though they are the same company now.  My laptop came with a recovery
cd, not the recovery partition that HP has been dishing out lately.  I
can pull my manuals and specs from the site - most are in PDF format.

> While I agree with the sediments, I'm kinda stuck with windoze because my
> primary email is juno, which runs ONLY on windoze; I have several
> development
> packages that I use for working away from home and they all run in
> windoze; and
> the HP drivers are "optimized for XP."

In my case, the only thing I have used a modem for in the last four
years is faxing documents.  Otherwise I've had DSL (just happen to be
a stones throw from a CO.) at various, but increasing rates of speed
(as Verizon changes their "plans")

> So when the <cuss><cuss><blankety-blank> folks at microsoft attempt to
> "stick it to me" because I have the OEM install, I'll have to [probably]
> pay
> for their extortion and buy a "legal copy" of XP.

Do you have a receipt from when the laptop was purchased?  That may
help your case.  You may try contacting the store where it was
purchased and see where that will get you (probably no where, but it
shouldn't be discarded).

Brad