[CS-FSLUG] Re: Linux on Laptops

Wade A Smith warm38 at juno.com
Mon Feb 28 21:47:09 CST 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:40:31 -0800 (PST) Christiansource-request at ofb.biz
writes:
> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:29:07 -0500
> From: "Bradly J. McConnell" <bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com>
> Subject: [CS-FSLUG] Linux on Laptops was re: Christiansource
>
> Linux support for laptops is getting better.  The only things that
> don't
> work from a standard install of FC3 on this laptop is wireless
> (broadcom
> chipset - easily fixed with ndiswrapper), 3D video support (ATI 9100
> IGP)
> and the modem (haven't bothered researching).  The only way it will
> get
> better is guinea pigs like the original poster and myself.
>
> Brad

I did install SuSE 9.2, but I could barely do anything.   I could
[eventually]
access the internet from our home LAN, but it couldnt touch the internal
nor external modems, so no email while "on the road".

Under Win98 I could get SuSE to access my files and move stuff into
the windoze environment.  XP is a critter of a different color. <puke>

As far as being a guinea rat, I dont have the time nor inclination to
spend months trying to get the video up to speed, the sound, the
USB ports (no serial port available), the ... and so on all without any
help from the HP "buy a documentation package now shut up and go
away because we've spent too much time on you already" folks.

Note to self: only standards-compliant Toshiba and ChiCom IBM laptops in
the future.

wade