[CS-FSLUG] User Comfort & Change

Ritchie, Josiah jritchie at bible.edu
Mon Feb 14 08:53:13 CST 2005

>From a win to win conversion point of view (but conversions are all the
same)... When it comes down to it, the only one that needs to be
convinced is "the boss". Then that person needs to publicly display
support for your efforts and most will reluctantly comply. A few will
complain and/or need training. Some may go kicking and screaming, but
they will all eventually convert just fine. You maf

To avoid users harboring resentment, don't rock the boat for a period
after that and provide training as needed and they will soon forget.
That or they are just the types that hate computers anyway. A major key
for me is to remember that they aren't mad at you, but at the change.
You can still joke, laugh, sympathize and console them. Remind them
gently that you aren't having fun either (don't tell them that it is
because of them). They will come around. If they call you and say they
are about to throw the monitor out the window, suggest the keyboard
instead and say you'll replace it. :-) I've not had anyone take me up on
similar suggestions yet. I have had a user rip the mouse out of the
computer. It ripped at the PS/2 connector. She insisted on replacing it
herself.

Basically, it is about human engineering related to change in general,
not just tech change. Around here, other changes have prompted Staff
Meeting speakers talking about change. I'm not a fan of this, but I'm a
bit of a rebel.

All that said. It sounds like you aren't convincing "the boss". Perhap's
a gradual approach. We started by feeding the decision makers various
Linux propoganda and talking about it with them. We still don't have
Linux on the desktop. We are winning with firefox and a progression
towards OOo is slowly working toward happening around here. These have
been slowed by certain amounts of turnover in the IT dept. It is getting
better and there is no doubt that Linux is the best in the server room,
I haven't stood any new services (not counting upgrades) up on anything
but Linux in a year at least. We have some programs that I just can't
run on Linux that are real important.

That's more than you asked for, eh?
JSR/