[CS-FSLUG] User Comfort & Change

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 03:40:54 CST 2005

I would like to get the opinions of our more experienced IT folks on
the list.  It is very obvious to me that a number of people don't want
to change software, simply because they know what they know, and don't
want to change.

Just how important is user comfort when it comes to making decisions
about changing software?  Some people make it out to be all-important.
 I do agree that there is something to be said for user comfort and
proficiency with current software, but do not other factors, such as
maintenance, cost, stability, security, etc. play a role in the
decision-making process?

For instance, when I tell a church about GNU/Linux, and they bring up
the 60-year-old secretary who plans to retire in about 3 or 4 years, I
can sort of understand their desire to continue with the current
software.  However, if the secretary is 35, that would be a different
ball-game.  How much is really "user comfort", and how much is pure
un-willingness to change.

I realize that when you change software, you need to make some
adjustments.  I'll also grant that many of the adjustments that I
consider minor and simple may throw someone else completely off track.
 Still, a change from MS Office to OOo is not a difficult thing.  So
how does an organization justify not changing, based on user comfort,
in light of all the other issues that need to be considered?

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/