[CS-FSLUG] User Comfort & Change

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Feb 14 11:33:46 CST 2005

I work with a different set of folks that some.  All the people working in
Missions are actually volunteers of sorts.  In a business environment, when
someone is an employee, people put up with a lot more to keep their job.

In a missions environment, and somewhat in a Church also (churches usually have
a cross between people on salary and volunteers), the volunteers carry a lot
more weight.  Most of these organizations do not have well documented
procedures and policies, so the inner-workings are only known by those who do
the task.  So if one of these volunteers leave, the organization is in
trouble.  For this reason, the leadership often will tip-toe around situations
that might cause a great deal of change.

Now, I have seen a number of organizations survive through change.  If the
people have greater dedication to the organization than fear of change, then it
usually works out.  Many people in missions are this way.  Churches, however,
often split when a divisive issue comes up.  You split when the issue is more
important than the organization.  I do not think that the choice of software
would cause a church split, but rather I am using this analogy to show that
most Church members are not as tied to their church as people are tied to a
mission organization.  However, the more involvement you have in the
organization, the more likely you are to protect that organization.  Usually,
the staff are very involved, and so should stick with the church better than
the congregation will.

All that to say, I do not think that selling the Pastor on open-source will
force the whole staff to make the switch with a smile on their face.  A lot
depends on how tied to the Church they are, the ratio of volunteers to paid
staff, etc.

    - Tim