[CS-FSLUG] Office suites

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 17:21:11 CST 2005

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:38:40 -0600, N. Thompson <n.thomp at sasktel.net> wrote:
> I just thought I would mention this to those of you running OpenOffice.org
>
> My sister has version 1.1.2 running in Windows and I'm running 1.1.0 in
> Windows, I haven't checked this in Linux yet since printing is nicer in
> Windows. Anyway the bug happens when you misspell Internet, perhaps with
> a lower case "i" or by any other method you may chose, then right
> clicking on the word and accidentally selecting internee as the
> correction. Following that, every time you type in Internet which is a
> valid word it will swap it for internee all the time.
>
> The other problem I had was with the beta for the upcoming
> OpenOffice.org 2.0, in every version I've tried bulleted lists with
> custom bullets flatten out, I use tab to start sub-lists so to speak but
> when I save the files and then open them again the lists have flattened
> out, ruining my document.
>
> I'm disappointed with OpenOffice.org, to be honest it has too many bugs
> and thats really unacceptable for software I need to depend on for my
> school work so I have "upgraded" to StarOffice 5.2 for now.
>
> I am considering purchasing a commercial office suite, maybe MS Office
> although if Corel comes out with a Linux version I'd consider that
> instead, why? Because the school has standardized on MS Office and if I
> use that it will save me a tonne of grief, plus MS Office has a better
> spell checker and crammer checker than any other office suite I've
> tried;

While it is obvious you do need a grammar checker ;), I would argue
about the capabilities of MS' grammar checker.  Today's experience was
kind of like trying to find a programming error - only more difficult.
 You know how programming errors could anywhere within several lines
of the line noted in the error message?

Well, MS Word noted a grammatical error in one of my sentences just a
few minutes ago.  The offending sentence:

"This is a church's best chance to start with, or migrate to, a purely
free and open source software platform."

MS' solution? "These is..." or "...best chances..."  Something in my
grammatically trained mind told me to make this change:  "..., or to
migrate to, ..."  That fixed it.  Haven't had a chances yet to tries
these at home on my OpenOffice.orgs suite. :)  On the bright side, at
least MS did spot a problem.  Not bad for a glorified typewriter.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/