[CS-FSLUG] Office suites

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 14:28:59 CST 2005

The Devil's Advoacte answers,
The Evil answers to today's problems:

> I just thought I would mention this to those of you
> running OpenOffice.org

I'm listening.

> My sister has version 1.1.2 running in Windows and
> I'm running 1.1.0 in Windows, I haven't checked this

> in Linux yet since printing is nicer in Windows.

What you mean to say is that the company that makes
your printer writes drivers for the Windows platform,
and that without the millions of dollars available for
programmers, the Linux drivers aren't quite as good.
Of course, considering that they are done so cheaply,
I'm surprised at their quality.

> Anyway the bug happens when you misspell Internet,
> perhaps with a lower case "i" or by any other method

> you may chose ...

You choose to misspell? Most people do it on accident.
Perhaps it is modern education that is failing you.

> ... then right clicking on the word and
> accidentally selecting internee as the correction.

Like accidently selecting red as the color that means
go. Someone is in way too much of a hurry, too tired
or too wired on caffeine. And anyways, who spells
internet with a capital "I"? It isn't even a proper
name any more (like frisbee or spam aren't proper
names any more).

> Following that, every time you type in
> Internet which is a valid word it will swap it for
> internee all the time.

In the Format menu, turn off the autoformat (which is
usually selected "As You Type"). This way you can see
your errors (if the spell check button is pressed) and
correct them yourself. Unless, of course, your
spelling is so bad that if it wasn't auto-corrected,
your paper would look more bulgarian than english, in
which case I pose again that it is probably modern
education that is failing you. Or perhaps this is
simply a problem with the Windows version.

> The other problem I had was with the beta for the
> upcoming OpenOffice.org 2.0, in every version I've
> tried bulleted lists with custom bullets flatten
> out, I use tab to start sub-lists so to speak but
> when I save the files and then open them again the
> lists have flattened out, ruining my document.

This is just plain confusing. Was this problem with
every version of OOo 2.0 Beta you tried or in every
version of OOo? This is just bad use of English
sentence structure. I use bullets all the time on
1.1.2 and 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 and none of them have the
problem. I even use the tab. If this is a problem with
the Beta, or with files produced by the Beta, then you
are reporting a bug to the wrong people. If you are
experiencing this problem with other versions of OOo,
then you are the first. That said, I suspect that it
is either a Tab issue from the Format->Paragraph
section or again a Windows only problem.

> I'm disappointed with OpenOffice.org, to be honest
> it has too many bugs and thats really unacceptable
> for software I need to depend on for my school work
> so I have "upgraded" to StarOffice 5.2 for now.

That is one long run-on sentence. And I should mention
that OOo isn't the only alternative office suite that
is MS compatible. For example, check out:
http://www.softmaker.de/education/index_en.htm
This is a fully MS compatible Office Suite that runs
on Linux or Windows and costs US$12. If you need more,
check out http://www.microsuck.com for a fairly
complete list of alternatives. Wake up and smell the
alternatives to a polar world with OOo on one end and
M$ Office (and maybe Corel) on the other.

> I am considering purchasing a commercial office
> suite, maybe MS Office although if Corel comes out
> with a Linux version I'd consider that
> instead, why? Because the school has standardized on
> MS Office and if I use that it will save me a tonne
> of grief, plus MS Office has a better spell checker
> and crammer checker than any other office suite I've

> tried;

I am curious what other office suites you've tried the
spell checker on. Do I need my fingers, or my fingers
and toes to count them? It's a big world man, get out
there.

> however, if Corel has success with their revived WP
> Office for Linux than I'd give that a lot of
> consideration and hope it has a good spell checker
> and grammar checker of its own as long as Corel
> includes the Linux version in the box with the
> Windows version without increasing the already steep

> price tag, if it costs any more I might as well buy
> a copy of MS Office and CrossOver Office but either
> way both choices are expensive right now.

First of all, why do you need a grammar checker?
Secondly, the words and the spelling used in english
haven't changed in a really long time. What does that
mean? That means that a spell checker is a spell
checker, using the same dictionary with the same
english words. What you don't like is the auto correct
thingy attempting to correct the same frequent
mistake. You'd prefer if it didn't auto correct? That
can happen. You'd prefer if you could alter the auto
correct list? You can do that. You'd like to add words
to the dictionary? You can do that. You'd like to pay
a 4,000% markup to get it? You can do that, too.

And by the way, what are the chances of a Linux and
Windows version coming in the same box? Yeah ... I was
thinking the same thing.

End of evil ranting answer.