[CS-FSLUG] Office suites

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Feb 10 07:58:13 CST 2005

On Wed February 9 2005 11:38 pm, N. Thompson wrote:
> I just thought I would mention this to those of you running OpenOffice.org
>
> My sister has version 1.1.2 running in Windows and I'm running 1.1.0 in
> Windows, I haven't checked this in Linux yet since printing is nicer in
> Windows.

It is? I guess it might depend on what printer you use.

> Anyway the bug happens when you misspell Internet, perhaps with
> a lower case "i" or by any other method you may chose, then right
> clicking on the word and accidentally selecting internee as the
> correction. Following that, every time you type in Internet which is a
> valid word it will swap it for internee all the time.
>
> The other problem I had was with the beta for the upcoming
> OpenOffice.org 2.0, in every version I've tried bulleted lists with
> custom bullets flatten out, I use tab to start sub-lists so to speak but
> when I save the files and then open them again the lists have flattened
> out, ruining my document.
>
> I'm disappointed with OpenOffice.org, to be honest it has too many bugs
> and thats really unacceptable for software I need to depend on for my
> school work so I have "upgraded" to StarOffice 5.2 for now.

The best thing to do is to contact the coders about the bugs. They are quick
to fix things and I'm sure when 2.0 releases, it will be quite good.

> I am considering purchasing a commercial office suite, maybe MS Office
> although if Corel comes out with a Linux version I'd consider that
> instead, why? Because the school has standardized on MS Office and if I
> use that it will save me a tonne of grief, plus MS Office has a better
> spell checker and crammer checker than any other office suite I've

[snip]

No can do for me. I just simply can't give Gates even 1 cent of my money.

Fred

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."