[CS-FSLUG] Office suites

Alvin Smith alvin at tux.org
Wed Feb 9 23:14:00 CST 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:38 pm, N. Thompson wrote:
> I just thought I would mention this to those of you running OpenOffice.org
>
> My sister has version 1.1.2 running in Windows and I'm running 1.1.0 in
> Windows, I haven't checked this in Linux yet since printing is nicer in
> Windows. Anyway the bug happens when you misspell Internet, perhaps with
> a lower case "i" or by any other method you may chose, then right
> clicking on the word and accidentally selecting internee as the
> correction. Following that, every time you type in Internet which is a
> valid word it will swap it for internee all the time.

I have version 1.1.3 running under Linux but:

On your "Tools" menu select "AutoCorrect/AutoFormat".  Find your internet
entry and delete or change it here.

> The other problem I had was with the beta for the upcoming
> OpenOffice.org 2.0, in every version I've tried bulleted lists with
> custom bullets flatten out, I use tab to start sub-lists so to speak but
> when I save the files and then open them again the lists have flattened
> out, ruining my document.

With a beta version should expect to have bugs...  I do not have your problem
with my version.  I am also satisfied with print quality.

> I'm disappointed with OpenOffice.org, to be honest it has too many bugs
> and thats really unacceptable for software I need to depend on for my
> school work so I have "upgraded" to StarOffice 5.2 for now.
>
> I am considering purchasing a commercial office suite, maybe MS Office

That should be pretty cheap with a student discount.  About $100 maybe?

> although if Corel comes out with a Linux version I'd consider that
> instead, why? Because the school has standardized on MS Office and if I
> use that it will save me a tonne of grief, plus MS Office has a better
> spell checker and crammer checker than any other office suite I've
> tried;

Gotcha.

--
peace,