[CS-FSLUG] Office suites

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 9 22:38:40 CST 2005

I just thought I would mention this to those of you running OpenOffice.org

My sister has version 1.1.2 running in Windows and I'm running 1.1.0 in
Windows, I haven't checked this in Linux yet since printing is nicer in
Windows. Anyway the bug happens when you misspell Internet, perhaps with
a lower case "i" or by any other method you may chose, then right
clicking on the word and accidentally selecting internee as the
correction. Following that, every time you type in Internet which is a
valid word it will swap it for internee all the time.

The other problem I had was with the beta for the upcoming
OpenOffice.org 2.0, in every version I've tried bulleted lists with
custom bullets flatten out, I use tab to start sub-lists so to speak but
when I save the files and then open them again the lists have flattened
out, ruining my document.

I'm disappointed with OpenOffice.org, to be honest it has too many bugs
and thats really unacceptable for software I need to depend on for my
school work so I have "upgraded" to StarOffice 5.2 for now.

I am considering purchasing a commercial office suite, maybe MS Office
although if Corel comes out with a Linux version I'd consider that
instead, why? Because the school has standardized on MS Office and if I
use that it will save me a tonne of grief, plus MS Office has a better
spell checker and crammer checker than any other office suite I've
tried; however, if Corel has success with their revived WP Office for
Linux than I'd give that a lot of consideration and hope it has a good
spell checker and grammar checker of its own as long as Corel includes
the Linux version in the box with the Windows version without increasing
the already steep price tag, if it costs any more I might as well buy a
copy of MS Office and CrossOver Office but either way both choices are
expensive right now.

--
http://celerate.blogspot.com/