[CS-FSLUG] Ethics and the X-Box

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 19:10:16 CST 2005

On 12/9/05, Clinton Evans <clinton.evans at rogers.com> wrote:
> I have a project in my Church where I want some cheap X-terminals and I am
> debating converting some old X-Boxes for the purpose. I suspect that, in a
> month or two, no self-respecting child will be seen with last-year's model
> when he can have the new 360. If I am correct, the garage sales should have
> them in abundance!
>
> Here is the dilemma: what is the morality of circumventing Microsoft's
> security to recycle some of their obsolete machines?
>
> Clinton

I am not an expert in this area, to say the least.  Nor am I familiar
with the legal issues surrounding the X-Box.  I believe that Linux is
already on the X-Boxes anyway.  Whether that is legal/moral is another
question.  If its been proven legally sound, it shouldn't be a
problem.  The real issue is whether they have the right to block your
fair use rights - and I don't believe they do.  They tried to sue
people for using the development kit or something, to install Linux on
the X-Box, but failed.

I'm pretty sure I haven't been very helpful.  Hopefully others here
may be paying more attention to this issue.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/