[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Ozone Hole

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Fri Dec 9 15:19:45 CST 2005

On 12/9/05, Chris Brault <gginorio at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> The idea of  billions comes also from an understanding of the fall of
> "Mystery Babylon".
>
> "And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no
> man buys their merchandise any more..." - Revelation of John 18:11 [AKJV]

The fall of Rome perhaps?  That had a significant impact.

> My point here is that only a "modern" society can provide food, medicine
> and infrastructure to support a billion people. So any surviving
> population could only grow as fast as medicine and technology allowed it
> to. If history is any guide, the time for this kind of society to breed
> another 940 million people would be in the hundreds if not thousands of
> years.

I wasn't suggesting that society would quickly return to such a
population level, but it would nonetheless be possible.

> Lest we forget the army of 200 million, the number of people on the
> earth needs to be much larger than simply one billion.

That depends.  In theory at least the entire population of a country
can be decreed to be at the service of the war effort - and therefore
perhaps could be considered in the army.

> a United Europe (Rome
> reborn)

The "Holy" Roman Empire might be a better fit for that prophecy.  Rome
reborn could also potentially refer to the British (industrial
revolution, and for quite a number of years control of the seas), or
even to America.

>  Jesus said himself to his disciples in a description of the end times
> (Matthew 24):
>
> Truly I say to you, This generation shall not pass, till all these
> things be fulfilled."

I think that the word "generation" there stands as one warning to
always be cautious in your interpretation of prophecy.  I suspect that
a lot of people might have been surprised when the end did not come
within the lifespan of those alive in the first century - although now
that verse generally has the word "generation" interpreted as a
reference to the human race.

Dave