[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Ozone Hole

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 9 14:35:35 CST 2005

Y'all making me work for a living,

>I'll assume that you're right about some relatively large number of
>people being around, but where does it speak of billions?  (I suspect
>that you're right, but I can't recall any verses offhand that speak of
>a population quite that level).

Here are some of my wild assumptions about the "end times".

Wild Assumption One:

"And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand
thousand: and I heard the number of them."  - Revelation of John 9:16
[AKJV]

It seems to me that you' d need quite a population to raise and support
a standing army of 200 million. Maybe I'm wrong, but supplying them
alone would take another, much larger army of farmers, factory workers
and transport personel.

Wild Assumption Two:

"And he said to me, The waters which you saw, where the whore sits, are
peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues." - Revelation of John
17:15 [AKJV]

The "whore" (Mystery Babylon) of the end times is in control of not a
few people or a remnant of nations, but of multitudes, nations and many
languages. Seems like there'd need to be quite a few people around for
that to occur.

The idea of  billions comes also from an understanding of the fall of
"Mystery Babylon".

"And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no
man buys their merchandise any more..." - Revelation of John 18:11 [AKJV]

This section details how this one city's demise shocked the merchants
and kings of the world. With "Babylon's" demise, a great and powerful
trading center is lost; Indeed, it will be so powerful that all men will
mourn for her. The obvious question arises: Who was "Mystery Babylon"
trading with? Kings and merchants to be sure, but you've got to sell
alot of things to make the incredible wealth she had.

As an example: America consumes 1/4 of all the worlds goods. If we were
to fall, I'm sure, aside from the mixed politicial reviews, we'd receive
this kind of sad farewell. How many nations rely on America's buying
power as the lynchpin of thier economies? How many nations rely on the
US military to protect their national interests?  How many nations'
stock markets would collapse if America's disappeared?

In other words, you need alot of people to create this kind of personal
attachment to a trading center. If Singapore or Hong Kong sank into the
sea, do you think world commerce would panic? Over 100,000 people died
in the Indonesian quakes, indeed, the entire earth shook, but life went
on. Think about that. It's human nature to care most about our own
self-interests.

>If, for example, 99% of the population were to be killed off by some
>human-caused event, there'd still be enough people left to bring the
>population back to it's current level in a while, if a billion is the
>required level.  Groups of people have believed that they were in the
>"end times" at many points in history.

First, let's define "a while". If earth's population were reduced to 60
million people, 1% of 6 billion, and were spread out over the planet,
how long would it take to get back up to a billion? Some things to think
about:

1) Most westerners lack basic survival skills. The fall of society would
result in wide spread panic and death as people fight for the fleeting
remnants of society. Disease and famine would wipe out millions of
helpless city dwellers.

2) Without modern medicine, AIDS, Ebola, Mad Cow, the Avian Flu and
other modern diseases would ravage and wipe out whole societies. Take
Central Africa as an example.

3) With the new fight for survival and subsequent lack of capital,
things extemporaneous  to survival like art, schools, research and hard
science would decay quickly. Once lost, this knowledge base would take a
while to be revived.

My point here is that only a "modern" society can provide food, medicine
and infrastructure to support a billion people. So any surviving
population could only grow as fast as medicine and technology allowed it
to. If history is any guide, the time for this kind of society to breed
another 940 million people would be in the hundreds if not thousands of
years.

Lest we forget the army of 200 million, the number of people on the
earth needs to be much larger than simply one billion.

Also, the Jews have to survive in order to regain their nation and
rebuild the temple at Jerusalem as the word of God says they will. This
brings into account the fact that Jesus spoke of the days we live in
now, the days when Israel would return to their home land and again form
a nation. He spoke of the nations of the Persians, a United Europe (Rome
reborn) and the kings of the far east (China? India?). The world is
alive and well when the end times come. The Jews have returned home.

 Jesus said himself to his disciples in a description of the end times
(Matthew 24):

"For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and
there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers
places...

When you therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by
Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place...

Truly I say to you, This generation shall not pass, till all these
things be fulfilled."