[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Ozone Hole

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 9 15:56:36 CST 2005

I am familiar with that theology,

>>The idea of  billions comes also from an understanding of the fall of
>>"Mystery Babylon".
>>
>>"And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no
>>man buys their merchandise any more..." - Revelation of John 18:11 [AKJV]
>>

>The fall of Rome perhaps?  That had a significant impact.

Indeed it did, but that was only a foreshadowing of what is to come, a
picture of future events is modern terms. Plus since those events all
take place during the tribulation, I don't think the historical fall of
Rome applies.

>>My point here is that only a "modern" society can provide food, medicine
>>and infrastructure to support a billion people. So any surviving
>>population could only grow as fast as medicine and technology allowed it
>>to. If history is any guide, the time for this kind of society to breed
>>another 940 million people would be in the hundreds if not thousands of
>>years.
>>

>I wasn't suggesting that society would quickly return to such a
>population level, but it would nonetheless be possible.

It is possible, but it would require an emmence amount of time, and
since the Jews have already gathered back in their homeland, there isn't
enough time left.

>>Lest we forget the army of 200 million, the number of people on the
>>earth needs to be much larger than simply one billion.
>>

>That depends.  In theory at least the entire population of a country
>can be decreed to be at the service of the war effort - and therefore
>perhaps could be considered in the army.

I think an understanding of how Romans and Jews saw an "army" might
clear up this misunderstanding. Plus, of course, this army crosses the
Euphrates river. And if everyone is in the "army" then who's supplying
them while the "army" is on the other side of the river?

>>a United Europe (Rome
>>reborn)
>>

>The "Holy" Roman Empire might be a better fit for that prophecy.  Rome
>reborn could also potentially refer to the British (industrial
>revolution, and for quite a number of years control of the seas), or
>even to America.

This "Rome" reborn will have it's capitol in Rome, come to dominance
during the tribulation and be destroyed by the other kings in the
alliance. Plus it's land must be that of the old Roman empire. I don't
think America qualifies. Neither did the old British Empire or the
Spanish one.

>> Jesus said himself to his disciples in a description of the end times
>>(Matthew 24):
>>
>>Truly I say to you, This generation shall not pass, till all these
>>things be fulfilled."
>>

>I think that the word "generation" there stands as one warning to
>always be cautious in your interpretation of prophecy.  I suspect that
>a lot of people might have been surprised when the end did not come
>within the lifespan of those alive in the first century - although now
>that verse generally has the word "generation" interpreted as a
>reference to the human race.
>
>Dave

Not exactly. The disciples were convinced that Jesus meant it would come
in their lifetime. When the temple fell, there was a bitter
disappointment, but Christ's words would not be undone. The temple had
to fall and be destroyed. It must rise again as well.

The word generation wasn't speaking to their generation, as they,
including Judas, so hopefully wished, but instead to the generation that
would see those signs of the end. In the same way, Jesus's words to
Peter "this rock" weren't referring to Peter, but to the mountain
wherein a water vortex existed referred to as "the gates of hell".

Indeed, I'm not much for removing the meaning from clear words if they
become difficult. Jesus meant "this generation" and this generation it is.