[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Ozone Hole

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 7 02:37:18 CST 2005

Let's see if I get this right,

I'm quoting from a news story from Yahoo!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051207/ap_on_sc/ozone_hole

"If scientists are right, that means longer-term exposure to harmful
ultraviolet radiation, which raises the risk of skin cancer and
cataracts for people. Long-term UV exposure is bad for the biodiversity
of the planet too."

1) Ozone depletion over populated areas can lead to increased UV
exposure. This extra exposure raises the risk of cancers and cataracts.

"Since the discovery of the ozone hole over the South Pole in the 1980s,
satellites and ground stations have been monitoring it."

2) The ozone hole is over the Arctic and Antartic and is at its worst
during the winter.

Am I correct in assuming that noone is sunbathing in Antartica during
the winter? Am I also correct in assuming that Antartica and the Artic
are not populated? So how exactly is the ozone hole a danger to man ...
or for that matter, a danger to anything (except perhaps snow and rock)?
And if man is not in any danger, where are these "risks" of increased
cancer coming from?

Let's all do the "hype"! It's the latest dance craze sweeping the world
wide media! If it's scary, who cares if it's true!